Monday, May 16, 2011

Kitchen Disasters



First off, I should probably inform you that the trip to the lake went well. Ofcourse we didn't catch anything, but I don't think that was really the point. It turned out to be quite relaxing and definitely a change from the norm. I did have to see gross earth worms that Arnaud hooked as bait on his reel and that was probably the worst of it. I opted for less gross and prettier option, a bright yellow thinga-majig. I have no idea what they are called and even less of an understanding as to how a fish could posibly see something so unaturally colored and find it appetizing. The sunset was amazing and that alone made me happy to have gone. It was a great end to a very long day.



my baby girl. she rocks my world.


Yesterday I decided that I'd get into the kitchen and purposely make something to blog about. Maybe that was just my excuse to finally make the cheesecake I'd been craving all week. I was imagining this wonderfully tall, fluffy, light cheesecake with a crunchy almond crust and I still was undecided about the topping. I'd written and re-written the recipe in my head at least 10 times. We went to get groceries and I bought the ingredients, or at least, I thought I did. When I came home I realized that I had forgotten to buy graham crackers for the crust! This should have been my first clue, that things weren't going to turn out great. I just thought to myself, 'This is what I get for not making a damn grocery list.' Luckily, I found an old box of graham crackers that I had completely forgotten I had. So, I started on the crust...

Crushed the cookies, melted the butter, added some sugar, pressed it into the spring form pan, and put it in the oven to bake. I thought all was going well and I had somehow averted the disaster. Then as I started work on the filling I noticed the bag of almonds on the counter. SHIT! I forgot to add them!!! I instantly ran to the stove and pulled out the crust, only to realize it was already browned and set. Ok, so no almond crust. It's not a big deal. I just left the crust out to cool and continued on the filling. A few splatters all over me, but still things were looking good. The cake was in the oven and it was looking amazing!

Earlier, while getting groceries, I saw my cousin (who is also my neighbor) and she invited me over to her house for a BBQ. It was getting late and the cake still wasn't ready. I almost wanted to turn the heat up in the oven so I could head over to my cousin's, but I didn't wanna ruin it and not be able to blog about it. So, I waited... patiently. Finally, when it was done- I was pleased. It was oh so beautiful. I set the waterbath and cheesecake(still in the bath) on the stove and jetted out the door. I had a good time at the BBQ and time really flew!

At one point I remember asking myself, 'Maybe I should have taken the cheesecake out of the water bath?' I knew I shouldn't have even thought this- it probably jinxed me! Sure enough, when I got home the water had somehow seeped through the foil, through the pan, and into my crunchy crust!!!! I was furious, but thought I could save it. So I threw it in the oven, hoping to dry it off. It didn't dry.

Then I was mad because now it was hot and I couldn't even eat it. So, I decided to put it in the freezer for a quick chill. As I opened my freezer drawer and put it in, it fell off the pan and splattered all over my freezer!! NOW I WAS FUMING! I forgot the cheesecake softened when it was warm. So, my husband realized the breakdown I was about to have and came and helped me clean up. I did manage to save about half the cheese cake, but it looked more like an upside down cheesecake then what I had originally imagined! Ugh, I was so sad and wanted to cry. Still, it was very very delicious.It reminded me of the scene in Julie&Julia, where Julie drops her chicken on the floor and just starts to cry. It seems this has been me in the kitchen for the last few MONTHS! I have been such a clutz and have had such a hard time making something look as amazing as I imagine it.

So, the cheesecake blog didn't happen.. but it sure made for a good story. I will eventually have something to share with you guys that isn't just my continuous ranting. :) Patience grasshopper!

Thanks for allowing me to vent.


the effed up cheesecake.

1 comment:

  1. Aww so sorry about your day. Vie had loooots of erred up sewing days so I feel ya! Morgane is such a little model. I made her a crayon roll!

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!