Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Teriyaki Tofu Kebabs

Today has been a really stressful day for me. I had such a hard time sleeping last night because I kept hearing all sorts of weird noises. Then this morning I woke up and heard my neighbor talking really loudly, from what seemed like my front yard. For a moment I thought, "I wonder if he is talking to the police?".. I really don't know why I thought that. Maybe because we have been having a few parking issues. These people are so inconsiderate when it comes to unspoken parking rules! When I first moved into my house two years ago, there was this old beat up truck parked right in front of my house ALL the time. (It was literally never moved.) I decided I was gonna call TxDOT because there's this lemon law, where they go and tow old abandoned cars. First, I wanted to be generous and see if it belonged to any of my neighbors. So, I went over to the people next to me and asked. Sure enough, it was their vehicle. I asked them to please move it because it was inconvenient for me, because it nearly blocked my drive way and because my visitors always had to park elsewhere thanks to that garbage parked out front. They were nice enough to move it and for a few weeks (maybe even a month) they didn't park out front. I mean it just seemed ridiculous that they needed that space. They had three vehicles, of which two could be parked on their driveway and the other infront of their OWN house. But no... they decided that truck didn't need to make their house look bad so they went and parked it two houses down!!!! Can you believe that? More people moved into the house with them.. don't know why, but along with them they brought 3 more vehicles! Luckily, their neighbor on the other side moved out and the house is empty. So, they use that drive way for two of the vehicles and I've had to deal with at least one of their vehicles parked directly infront of my house again! It is so annoying because they park almost halfway blocking my driveway and no one is parked in front of their house.. and during the day no one is in their driveway, but there is always someone in front of my house.

... Okay, and because of these annoying issues I have been putting my trashcan there so they can't park there. Of course they still move my trash so they can park! Anyway back to this morning. I hear the neighbor in his loud voice, "We've been having problems (fades off) trash can (fades off)." OMG, I was like what is this guy doing? So I got up out of bed and looked out the window and sure enough there was a cop! The cop wasn't there because of our parking issues, but because someone had broken into the neighbors car infront of my house. I freaked out- thought maybe they'd blame me for wanting them to move their damn car or something. THEN, I got even more freaked out because it could have been my car! I've had to deal with enough of that violation and recently too because they broke into my house while we were in Europe in December. So, all morning I have been stressing out about this. It makes me really want to sell my house! It may not seem like a big deal, but my husband works out of state so he's not always here and that makes it scary for me. I always stress about things...



Sorry about that rant, I just really need to vent to anyone and everyone who will lend an ear when I am having a stressful day. Ah, so the recipe, right!? Remember I told you I was doing the South Beach Diet? Well, it's going pretty good. I have lost 6lbs in one week and it hasn't been hell. I have been eating pretty good. The recipe I am posting today is more of a method I guess. I was watching Cooking Channel and they were showing a vegetarian cookout and these actually appealed to me. Eventhough I am not a big fan of Tofu- they turned out good! At first, I wanted to make my own teriyaki, but I knew I wasn't going to find vermouth or tamrin at the supermarket so I bought a ready made bottle. Not the sticky gooey sugar filled sauce, it's a light soysauce looking type (kikkoman brand), and I am sure this would be wonderful with any meat.

Teriyaki Tofu Kebabs
Ingredients:
- Firm Tofu
- Bell Pepper
- 1/3 cup Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Skewers

Cut the Tofu into small cubes and marinade in a bowl with the teriyaki and lemon juice for 30 minutes to an hour. While it is marinating cut the bell pepper into small peices that are about the same width as the tofu cubes, so you can put them on the skewers. Then it's assembly time! Alternate tofu and bell pepper down 2/3 of the skewer. You can cook these outside on the grill, stove top grill, or in a panini grill like I did. They don't take very long, but I really liked the ones that cooked for longer because the tofu was a little crunchy. After about 5 minutes on each side you should have beautiful grill marks and they should be ready. If you are substituting the tofu for any meat, it will take longer.

After the kebabs were done, I sauteed a little kimchi to serve along side it. SO GOOD. All I needed was a little rice, but I can't eat that- darnit!

I think next time I will try it with chicken.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Those look absolutely amazing and quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!

    We all have to rant at times.

    KB

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!