Friday, May 27, 2011

Tiramisu

Today marks day 4 of my South Beach Diet endeavor. It hasn't really been too difficult. I am actually quite proud that I haven't cheated or snuck in a piece of toast, because that is my favorite breakfast. I have had a little hanckering for chocolate, but I decided to blog about it instead of eating it! I made tiramisu for my hubby a few days back. **I didn't invite anyone over for it because he doesn't like to share his tiramisu.**



Last post, I mentioned that I have a hard time getting Arnaud to cook, but I forgot to mention that he never turns down a chance to eat make tiramisu. Usually, we will take turns making it- always the same recipe- turns out, it was my turn. I love this recipe because it is not too sweet and doesn't have an overwhelming amount of flavors. I really love the chocolate, rum, coffee combination of it and love even more that it doesn't have vanilla. Don't get me wrong, vanilla is delicious, but when it comes to tiramisu, I just don't find it necessary. This is as basic as you can get and as simple too.

The only issue I had with this tiramisu was waiting. You have to wait 4 hours minimum for it to set. Of course, I needed to photograph it so I took it outside for some beauty shots and the 108(F) degree weather melted it like ice cream within 5 minutes! So I had to rush it inside and pop it back in the fridge before it was inedible, or a soggy mess! AND I had to wait some more! So, the pictures were a little quick and maybe not as good as I would have liked them to be. The recipe, however, is still a sure bet and should be added to your dessert reprotoire.



Tiramisu
Ingredients:
- 16 oz. room temperature marscapone
- 4 eggs (seperated)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar (converted from metric amounts)
- 1 1/2 cup espresso or strong coffee
- 1/8 cup dark rum or armagnac
- lady fingers
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder

Seperate the eggs while they are cold to make the process easier. Combine yolks with sugar in a bowl and beat until they are fluffy and have turned a pale yellow. Then beat in the marscapone until it is smooth. If you don't use room temperature marscapone, it is likely that you will have lumps that will be very difficult to get rid of. Once these ingredients are combined, set this bowl aside.

Whisk the egg whites, along with the salt, in a clean glass, copper, or stainless steel bowl. Using plastic containers decreases the success of having light fluffy whites because it is very difficult to fully remove fat residue from plastic. If you are a mad man and have decided to whisk these by hand, using a bigger whisk will make the process faster. Once the whites reach their full potential and have attained stiff peaks they are ready. You know you have stiff peaks when you can turn your bowl upside down and they don't fall, or using the safer method of scooping some with the top of your whisk and see if it holds it's shape. My husband does the bowl upside down test, but I have had so much bad luck with meringues that I am too scared of dropping it all on the floor then having to start all over and cleaning up.

Slowly, fold the egg whites into the marscapone mixture in two batches so they don't deflate. Start by placing your spatula (rubber/silicone) into the middle of your whites and scoop/'fold' turning out to the sides of the bowl, while turning the bowl. Repeat this movement until the egg whites have all been incorporated, then add in the remaining whites and combine in the same manner. Set aside.

The espress/coffee should be cooled and combined with the rum in a bowl where you can dip the lady fingers in. You will, of course, need something to assemble the tiramisu in. I used a small oval pan for this, but using an 8" or 9" square brownie pan will work too. Dip the lady fingers into the coffee mixture soaking both stides of the cookie. **WARNING** Whether you are using the crunchy cookies or the cake like ones, they both get really soggy if left to soak for too long and end up falling apart. So, be sure to only soak them for 3 or 4 seconds on each side. Then place them on your pan, creating the base for the dessert. Continue this process until you are able to cover the bottom of the pan with cookies. Then, pour half of the marscapone mixture over the cookies and smooth the top. Moisten and place the cookies over the marscapone to create a second layer. Cover the second layer of lady fingers with the remaining marscapone and then dust the whole top of the dessert with the cocoa powder. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours, best left over night.



Yum. Just writing this makes me feel like I just enjoyed a big serving of this creamy goodness. :)

14 comments:

  1. Dang! Arnaud never wants to share the good stuff! And whats up with the disappearing "followers" section on all the blogs lately??

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM!!! This is making my mouth water! I want to make this! I have a feeling there would be no leftovers if I made this.

    XO Lindsay @ Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKS YUMMY!! TFS. Come on over to my blog and check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I'm hungry for something sweet! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS, next Monday is Father's Day Favorite Recipes, hope to see you linking up again!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! My husband and I love Tiramisu, this looks like the best recipe I have seen yet. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiramisu is such a wonderful dessert and yours looks and sounds delicious as well. Come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been dying for a decent tira recipe, and methinks this may be it. Pinned it, now following, AND I'd love if you'd come link up this recipe, and others if you'd like, to my recipe linky/contest!

    http://www.bigklittlea.com/2011/06/june-concours-dcusine.html

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ADORE tiramisu and haven't had it in forever. Definitely bookmarking this to try it soon!

    Tx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my that is some amazing Tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohh, that tiramisu looks so impressive. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your tiramisu up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! I've never tried to make it at home! I'll have to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally!! I can proclaim my public love for this recipe! Haha!! Bonnie showed me how to get around the comment-leaving issues! So - love this! One day when I'm feeling brave I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!