Monday, June 6, 2011

All-Purpose Mustard Sauce



There are quite a few things that make me really happy when I'm cooking and trying out new recipes. The obvious is when I accomplish something that seems intimidating on the first attempt. Then there is the rare occasion of finding a recipe that you can adopt methods from and continue using for other dishes. When this happens you expand your cooking ability by so much because instead of just mastering one dish, you can create many more!

Some of my favorites that I use for so many, many things include vinaigrettes and traditional French sauces. By just changing one ingredient or the other, you have a whole new flavor that can be used for absolutely anything! For instance, vinaigrettes are great on salads of course, but also work wonders on changing up that left over rice or flavoring up some couscous. And sauces! What can you not do with sauces? It makes everything look fancy and you can even use it as a base for vinaigrettes!

So, today I decided to share this mustard sauce recipe because it is so super simple and it can be used on anything: steak, pork, chicken, fish, potatoes, and vegetables.

All-Purpose Mustard Sauce
Ingredients:
- 1 cup chicken/vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche/sour cream/ marscapone/ or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste

Sauces are best made after the meat portion has been cooked and in the same pan. The reason for this is that the broth/ water releases all the little bits left behind in the pan and the sauce gets all that delicious flavor. This process is known as deglazing. Add the broth, wine, and mustards and stir the liquids until everything is distributed evenly. Allow the liquid to simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the dairy component you are using. Continue simmering until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. To check this, dip a spoon into the sauce and check the back of the spoon to see if the liquid has clung to the spoon or dripped off. If the back of the spoon is coated, then proceed to run your finger on it to make a line on the spoon. If the line remains, then your sauce is ready and all you have to do is add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. If the liquid runs off the spoon then the sauce needs to simmer longer. The whole process should take no more than 10 minutes.

All that's left to do is serve a generous amount over your dish! Bon Appetite!


Check out the barley recipe I used!


**On a side note, I just wanted to announce my second feature! This is so exciting. Thanks to everyone who has been checking out my blog and has suscribed, you guys are awesome! (I feel like I just won an award.. :-P)**


Check it out by clicking the button.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this sauce! I need to start buying wine to cook with. And congrats on your SECOND feature :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. so tasty! I will have to try this. Come on over tomorrow and link to my Tasty Tuesday party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful meal, it just looks delicious.
    Thank you for sharing and have a great week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great sauce, and the fish looks to be cooked just to the peak of perfection! Is that salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Claudia that is salmon! It paired really well with the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I love salmon, I'll have to try this. Found you at the Thursday Blog Hop and am glad I did! Am a happy new follower :).

    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sauce does look delicious on your dinner. Yum! I wanted to invite you over to show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love dijon mustard-based sauces on chicken. I was thinking about writing a post on pesto and how many different ways there are to make it (basil or parsley, walnuts or pine nuts, feta or parmesan) and to eat it (pizza, pasta, sandwich spread). Gotta have these versatile things in our repertoires!

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!