Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chocolate French Toast

Last night I found myself unable to sleep. I had promised Morgane I'd make her a special breakfast and I kept wondering what I should make. It's a silly reason to be awake and stressing, but I seriously had like a million thoughts running through my head. I was going to go with the old chocolate chip pancake standby, but then I felt like it was overdone. So, I decided to try a chocolate french toast.

It made me so hungry. I was tempted to get up and make myself a little midnight snack, but knew I'd regret it in the morning. So, I kept tossing and turning until I finally dozed off. This morning, I was so excited to get started on breakfast because I knew my little 'french fry' would love it.



The final product was so yummy. I only regret not having a nicer bread to work with. I had to use whole wheat bread, which wasn't bad, but I think a thick brioche would have worked better. It was a great way to start off the day and I think that the chocolate lovers out there will appreciate this.

Chocolate French Toast
Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate (melted)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- bread slices
- butter for cooking

Warm the milk and cream together in a small pot. Do not bring to boil, just warm it enough to remove the chill so the melted chocolate won't set when combined with it. Pour the warmed milk/cream mixture into a blender along with 1/4 cup of the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, eggs and salt. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute, so the ingredients are fully combined. If you are worried about possibly having cooked the eggs because your milk was too hot, then run the mixture through a seive to remove any bits.

Pour the mixture into a shallow plate or baking dish, where you can soak your bread. Allow the bread to soak for 1 or 2 minutes, more if the bread slices are thicker. Add some butter to your heated non-stick pan and place the soaked slices of bread on the pan to cook. Turn the bread over after 2 minutes and allow the other side to cook for an additional 2 minutes. Repeat the process with the remaining bread.

Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the French toast to serve and if you'd like dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar.

12 comments:

  1. That looks quite good. At first I was like "huh?", but it actually looks quite yummy! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this french toast looks amaaazing! Thanks for checking out my blog, I'm so glad you like it, and I'm glad I discovered yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a chocolate lover, I love these! They're yummy and look easy enough for me to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good Momma you are!! This is definitely a special breakfast. I am pinning the last picture!! If you want to see your pin the link is on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That loos incredible - I will have to make it for the boys this summer - no time during the school year but in summer we can do all kinds of fun food things! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just love French Toast and your Chocolate French Toast puts it over the top. Your photo's are awesome! I am your newest follower! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Great idea. That looks so delicious!

    P.S. If you're interested in some delicious giveaways, here's a link to a bunch on my blog:

    http://someonesgottapay.wordpress.com/category/giveaways/chocolate-giveaways/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum - I love chocolate! Looks like they would make a great dessert too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! I am going to have to try this! We found your blog through the link party. We are your newest followers and would love for you to follow us back!

    www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations you are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. You are welcome to stop by and pick up your Red Plate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these sound awesome thanks for sharing made chocolate pancakes for my daughter
    shopannies@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!