Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crostata Madness



I love crostatas.

There really couldn't be anything more simple in the world to make. Especially because I also love the Pillsbury Pie Crusts from the biscuit section! I know, it's cheating.. but we don't always have to make everything from scratch. This little method/recipe is intended to make your life easier and that delicious crostata more attainable because it eliminates having to make a pie crust from scratch. Also, those pre-made pie crusts are just as good (maybe better, on a bad day) as the ones I make at home, so why not take a short cut? In addition, there is no need for a pie pan- less cleaning!

I used nectarines and apples to make two very very tasty crostatas, but you can use berries, cherries, peaches, or anything else you fill a fruit pie with. Here's what you have to do to get these on the table!



Nectarine Crostata
Ingredients:
- 1 premade pie crust, from the bicuit section, not freezer
- 3 ripe nectarines
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

If you want to peel the nectarines, first boil a pot of water. Drop the nectarines for about 30 seconds, then remove and place in cold water. The skin should pull away from the flesh and make it easier to remove.

I was too lazy to do this and I really like the skin, so I didn't bother with peeling them.

Cut the nectarines into thin wedges and put them in a bowl. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and lemon. Then sift in the cornstarch, so you don't have any chunks. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands combine the ingredients.

On a sheet pan, lined with parchment paper or silicone mat, roll out the pie crust. Then pour the nectarine mixture in the middle of the crust, making sure you leave about an inch to an inch and a half of free crust all the way around. Spread out the fruit to make a nice even layer. Fold over the crust, working your way around. It should look very rustic. Brush the crust over with some of the egg wash and place in the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes.



Apple Crostata
Ingredients:
- 1 premade pie crust, from the bicuit section, not freezer
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten

Follow the same directions used for the Nectarine Crostata, except of course for having to boil the apples to peel them.

14 comments:

  1. Oh mannnn this sounds so good right now!! Nectarines are so yummy I bet this has just the right amount of sweetness

    XO Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nectarine crostata is gorgeous! I am a big fan of taking short cuts. Like you, everything doesn't have to be from scratch ALL the time :) It is nice to get in, get out, and enjoy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care where the pie crust comes from...that looks stellar! I'll bring the coffee...you bring the crostata ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Crostata's are just beautiful! I don't know which I want to have so I will take a slice of each. They look so delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my! These crostats look gorgeous and sound delish! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That apple crostada totally makes me want it to be fall already! I hope you make it again then, it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful, perfect crostata! Just found your lovely blog and now following you. I'd like to invite you to share this post over on my weekend foodie blog hop: Fresh Food Friday and Seasonal Saturday where we feature 5 bloggers each week. Hope that you can join us! Once again, what a great crostata!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like it would be so complicated. Great job! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  10. these sound awesome come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Confessional this week! You were featured, so grab a button and get your brag on! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/as-i-write-this-i-am-having-major-sugar.html
    I can't wait to see what you wow us with next week.
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look beautiful! I think I'd like the skins too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. On this New Year Day, I made the apple version crostata and it was the biggest hit of the holiday meal season. I will hard-pressed to every make full pies again, when this recipe is SO easy and just as delicious.
    Love the blog - thanks for sharing,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!