Friday, June 24, 2011

Green Guacamole

I've finally managed to escape my home improvement projects to write a post. Actually, my bookshelves and some walls are drying a fresh coat of paint. I can't wait to be done with all this crap I started at once. I should have started off small, but I guess that goes against the whole "go big or go home" bit. Once, I finish this I seriously doubt I will take anything else on for a while. I'll just stick to cooking, thank you!



Last week, we went to Corpus Christi to enjoy the fabulous weather and the beach. It was so much fun. I got to see my cousins, aunt, and uncle, who are really like second sisters, mother and father to me. We spent a whole day at the beach. Swimming, making sand castles, eating, and drinking. No better way to spend a random Friday afternoon. My aunt always goes to beach packed with everything you might ever need. Volleyball courts, tents, sunblock, towels, beer, a grill, and guacamole! This guacamole is unlike anything I've ever tasted. And let me just say, I've tasted a lot of guacamole! She told me she got the recipe from my uncle and what was in it. I was amazed.. and knew I'd be trying it when I got home. So, I did and it was just as fabulous and I think it should be your go-to guac recipe, because it has become mine for so many reasons!

#1: it is super tasty
#2: extremely easy
#3: stays green FOREVER (hence the name)
#4: affordable

I don't know about avocado prices else where, but they are expensive here. One avocado can range from $1.50 to $2.75 each one! We all know that a good guacamole goes fast and we'd need at least 3 of those little suckers. So, the fact that you only need 1 avocado for this made me super giddy! If you are making the dip for more than 5 people, you might need to double the recipe. You do use other ingredients, but they are so inexpensive that it doesn't even really count.

Green Guacamole
Ingredients:
- 1 large Haas Avocado
- 2 tomatillo
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- juice of 3 or 4 limes (depending on the juiciness)
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup of water

Remove the skin and seed from the avocado. Cut into chunks and place in the blender. Remove the outter leaves of the tomatillos and cut into four pieces, into the blender. Remove the stem from the pepper and place in the blender with the remaining ingredients. If you like a chunky guacamole you can use less water or add more for a more liquid consistency. I like it to be a little smooth, but not liquidy. It can be kept in the refrigerator for about a week.

Serve alongside broken up tostadas, chips, or in sandwiches.

Thanks for the recipe and inspiration Tia Pat!

9 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum!!! I got a taste of this last night and it was super delicious! I could probably triple the recipe and eat the entire thing in one sitting with some Doritos! Two thumbs up on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer, grilling, sun, guacamole?! What more do you need! This looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, That looks very good. I have to try it out. I am your new follower from Food Friday Blog Hop. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my a must in summer time chips and guacamole

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just love a great Guacamole and your recipe looks delicious. Your photo's are awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like green dip from some of my fave Mexican food restaurants. I'm going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Love me some guacamole, too! And, I just bought avocados today and was SHOCKED at the price - 2 bucks a pop here in PA! Sheesh! Bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew. I never would have thought to add tomatillo. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!