Friday, June 10, 2011

The Ultimate Summer Salad

After a week off the South Beach Diet I have started again today. I really think that this diet is great. I am never starving and it is quite healthy. Todays recipe is a great salad to use on the diet and it's a must have for a summer cook out. It's light and fresh- perfect for those hot 108(F) degree afternoons we've been having for the last month or so. It feels like spring didn't even last a week here! It has been so hot and dry. I feel like Rango everytime I go outside... drying up and my skin bursting off. It's a horrible feeling, but it makes great weather for enjoying a cold beer!



I just made this salad, not even 20 minutes ago. Generally, I don't automatically jump on to my computer to post, but my husband is taking a nap and Morgane is watching TV... So I thought I'd squeeze this in. Afterall, the weekend is coming up and it would be a shame for you guys not to have this recipe on hand in case you decide to grill or entertain.

The Ultimate Summer Salad
Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (you can also use extra-virgin olive)
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cucumbers
- 6 roma tomatoes or 3 medium slicing tomatoes
- 1/2 small purple onion
- 6 oz reduced-fat block feta

In a large bowl combine the oil, juice of the lemon and lime, salt, pepper, and oregano. Whisk until the vinaigrette becomes opaque and taste for seasonings. Set aside while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

Peel the cucumbers. I like to leave a little peel to add some splash of dark green color and also some fiber. Cut the cucumber in half, lengthwise, and remove the seeds with a spoon. Cut each half in half again, lengthwise, and then cut the long pieces into 1/4 inch cubes. Repeat for all the cucumbers and then place them in the same bowl as the vinaigrette.

Cut the tomoatoes to a similar size as the cucumbers and put them in the bowl. Slice the onion into thin half moons and add to the bowl. The feta should also be cut into small cubes about 1/4 inch. If you'd like bigger chunks of feta, you will probably need more than 6 oz so the salad looks of equal proportions. With a large spoon toss the ingredients so they are all coated with the vinaigrette. That's it!

The salad can be eaten straight away, but tastes better after all the flavors have a had a chance to incorporate, about 30 minutes. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days, but I'm sure it will be finished much sooner than that. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

7 comments:

  1. It really does look fresh and yummy! Good luck on your diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must make this salad....this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! Ever since the weather turned hot, I have been craving salads with every meal. Something about cold, fresh veggies is just delicious at this time of the year. I'm gonna have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a refreshing looking salad! I heart feta cheese so this is def going on my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very refreshing, love the colors and healthy indeed. Yummy, I have to try it out. I am your new follower from Food Friday Blog Hop. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This looks delish! I found you through the blog hop! I am a new follower! I would love it if you would follow back and become my newest follower!
    Thanks!

    Kirsten
    www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you via Pinterest and we are having your yummy salad tonight! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!