Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yogurt and Crepes



Crepes are the versatile little creation the French use for savory and sweet dishes. I enjoy making a large batch every now and then to see what I can come up with. I admit, that I rarely make anything savory with them- probably because I like all things sweet. My absolute favorite breakfast crepe has to be a thickened yogurt, banana, and honey filled one. MMmmmm, Makes my mouth water.

I always eat this crepe. Even more than nutella and fruit, if you can believe that. So, when my crepes were all done and my yogurt was thickened, everything was ready for eating... I realized- NO BANANAS, NO HONEY! What the heck kind of a kitchen am I running here? It was late and I was in no mood to go to the store. I noticed a few lonely apples in my fruit bowl and attempted to make an apple pie inspired filling. The tangyness of the yogurt worked really well with the apples and cinnamon.



The next day, I made my trip to the grocery store for bananas and honey. Had my favorite little crepe and was happy, happy for the rest of the day.



Crepes
Ingredients:
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- 4 tbsp melted butter

Place the ingredients in a blender, cover, and blend at a high speed for a full minute. Then place the batter in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

The batter should have the consistensy of heavy cream.

Heat a non-stick skillet and rub lightly with butter, or use cooking spray. Pour a ladle of batter into the center of the skillet while you tilt the pan in a circular motion so the batter thinly covers the bottom of the skillet. Allow this side to cook for about a minute, then loosen the edges of the crepe with a wooden spoon and flip it to the uncooked side. It shouldn't take more than a minute for it to brown and it is ready. Continue to process for the remaining batter.

To Fill: You can use anything you'd like. Nutella and banana is a crowd favorite. Jams, fruit, yogurt- it all works!

4 comments:

  1. You always have the best sounding recipies!! This looks so amazing!

    XO Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice photos! this looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Viv, you continue to make me hungry every time I stop by here! I actually enjoy crepes and those look quite scrumptious! ~Hugs, M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Viv re
    I love crepes and was served crepes at an upscale party the other evening. I sure do wish they would have had your recipe. I see you browned your crepe a little. That is the way I like mine.Great presentation! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!