Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fruity Black Bean Salad

It's finally Thursday! My husband will be home in a couple of hours and I'm totally excited. I promised him I'd make him a good home-cooked meal... but I got so caught up with cleaning that I really don't have a lot of time to make something spectacular. So I've got a simple casserole in the oven, which I will post about later. Right now I've a got a fresh recipe that lightens up some black beans.

It has been really hot here in south Texas. Apparently, a few days ago was the 90th day in a row this year to reach or be above 100 F! Can you believe that? My poor yard looks awful, even though we have a sprinkler system. It seems pointless to be wasting excessive amounts of water to have green grass when it hasn't rained here in months. But, summer is almost over. I am definitely looking forward to the refreshing cooler temps. In the mean time, I will continue to make this little salad!



I originally wanted to make the old lime-corn bean salad standby, but it's time to go get groceries so my fridge and pantry are looking pretty meek. Instead of using red onion I added an apple and the sweetness was perfect! Almost like they were the onions... but nicer. Then I added a few clementine wedges... and it was perfect. Morgane and I enjoyed this salad over a grilled portabella the first night and just by itself the second. Either way, I really liked it.

Fruity Black Bean Salad
Ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- juice of 4 limes
- 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato
- 1 small red apple
- 1 clementine
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro

In a large bowl combine the grapeseed oil, lime, salt and pepper. Whisk.

Dice the tomato and red apple, then place in the bowl. Peel the clemetine and seperate the wedges. You can remove the skin from each individual wedge, but not necessary. Add to the bowl, along with the beans and cilantro. Combine all the ingredients gently with a spoon and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Then ENJOY!


1 comment:

BIG or small, LONG or short - YOUR comments make my day a little brighter! THANKS for taking the time!